A tool for members of Jax Freestyle Book Club, a meetup.com group in Jacksonville, Florida, to talk about what they're reading and would like to read. Click on the meetup badge to the right to go to our meeting homepage.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Another month, another book

The February meeting will be at Coffee Roasters on San Jose Boulevard. It'll be the third Tuesday again; that translates to the nineteenth. If everyone likes that venue, maybe we could make it a default spot with freedom to move around when we like. It's independent, and I've heard good reports about its being a pleasant atmosphere for groups to meet, as well as about the coffee.

Next month's selection will be The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad. This is a journalistic account of a female Norwegian war correspondent's time sharing the household of an Afghan family. It's had a bit of controversy, which you can read about at this site maintained by the American Booksellers' Association It's out in trade paperback and the Jacksonville library owns lots of copies. It's out on audio CD, and new and used copies are widely available.

I'd like to make March a dedicated fiction month, since there have been several suggestions for novels. If you want to recommend a novel or short story collection, please do post your idea! If you want to be able to create a post, please send me the email address where you want me to send authorization. Anybody can comment, with or without signing in, no need for authorization.

I will try to get March and April selection polls up over the next couple of weeks, so that we can vote two months ahead in February, and try to stay that way. I know that especially with some of the longer books and busy busy schedules, advance planing can make the difference between getting around to the book or not!

FInally, if you read American Bloomsbury but weren't able to get to the meeting, please do post a comment or better yet contact me for authorization and start posting to this blog!

5 comments:

Susan in Florida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan in Florida said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan in Florida said...

I seem to NOT want to miss anything. Please remind me at the next meeting to ask you how this blog thing is meant to work.

It would be easier if I was notified when addtions have been made to the blog. But I can't seem to find the block to check to get that to happen. So maybe it's not possible.

I hope I don't miss anything important. Logistics of staying informed.

I like this blog thingy for the ability to post my comments about a book.

I can check this blog thingy periodically for NEW posts. But (in all probality) I'll miss the comment portions.

Susan in Florida said...

Anne,
You said that someone else recommended this spot but only you and I have rsvp'd yes.
The spot works for me BUT if southside works better for most people then that's ok with me also.

IF people want to go back to Borders, maybe we can sit at those comfy chairs in the corner?
Susan

anne said...

How the blog works is kind of a work in progress! I'm thinking now that it would be good to have it as a forum for all members to post their reactions to anything they're reading that would be interesting to the group!